The Forest Valley by Csaba Banati

Hi all,

This is my latest project.
Quick practice inspired by our latest office trip up in the epic mountains.
You can also check it at https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lB0AG

I hope you like it!
Best,
Csaba

1 Like

I like it a lot!

@boringmike, please tell us more :wink:

1 Like

Me too! Reminds me of a Simon Stalenhag image.

1 Like

Thanks, i’m glad you like it!

It was a quick idea during the before-mentioned trip. wanted to do something ‘epic’ but at the same time add a bit of mystery through a hint of a story. I usually like to keep it loose so people can interpret it on their own way. the plan is to do a couple more images and sketch out the whole storyline I have in my mind.

Technically there’s literally nothing interesting. :slight_smile:
Mostly 3d in 3dsmax with V-Ray. touch of Photoshop.

I’m happy to answer any question’s if there’s any.

1 Like

Great as always! Are the mountains based on some existing terrain data and satellite photos (+scatter) or is it all manual work?

Thanks I’m glad you like it!
Started from existing data then i modified it to my requirements. I find it really useful and thrifty to work this way.
Repainted some areas, cut the terrain, moved parts around and also FFD formed a bit.

Thanks. I really like those mountains for not being too prominent. I get some Ural-esque, secluded felling about them which pretty much adds up to the overall unsettling undertones of the image.

By the way, I’ve seen your video was nominated to CG Awards. I keep my fingers crossed because it was the utterly inspiring piece.

2 Likes

A unique approach, something that I really like about this piece is the fact that looks like a frame from something bigger, and I love the filmic style too. I’d like to know more about the concept behind this wonderful image.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the kind words!
I didn’t win this time but maybe next year! :wink:

Wow, thanks!
I’m happy that my intentions went through the image.
I’m planning to create a few more ones describing the concept a bit more but it’s free for adaptation for everyone :slight_smile:
I’d like not to reveal too much, more like just giving directions and let the mind fill the canvas.

I was rooting for you and your piece was definitely the most influential for me. I will keep my fingers crossed for the next year.

thanks, man! appreciate it!