Book, dust and lasers by Douglas Goulart

Originally published at: https://www.ronenbekerman.com/?p=117334

Participating in this challenge was at once supremely entertaining and enjoyable. When I was browsing the site and I came across the invitation, the library’s architecture caught my attention. I did not have previous experience with contests, but when looking at the images, instantly started to have some different ideas. I don’t know why looking at the library and its surroundings automatically brought to my mind scenes from the movie Star Wars, specifically of the city of Mos Eisley in Tatooine. Then I decided to get into the game, will it work? More than competing I wanted to see the result!

When I realized I was immersed in that universe composed of starships, stormtroopers, dust and sand. I thought about how to merge the library into Mos Eisley’s architecture without losing her identity. So I added some classic elements from that place as blocks of stones, domed ceiling and antennae.

The most challenging part was telling a story with all that. A library holds a lot of knowledge, and knowledge is power! In StarWars’ universe which character represents that insatiable quest for power? The answer was immediate, Darth Vader!

So I did it. I had a story! Vader in his quest for power, appropriating and claiming also a powerful source of knowledge.

All the ships used in the projects and characters are consistent with the history and time of the film.

During the process I was more and more amused! Working with dedication in every grain of dust, crack and stone to transport that library to another universe. Working with two suns was the first big challenge. As I was performing the tests, the result was surprising. The contrast of colors generated by the desert climate with the bluish sky greatly pleased me.

It was an experience that allowed me to step out of the comfort zone, explore new techniques, unleash the imagination and expand the way I work for endless possibilities.

1 Like