Desert Bunker by Andrew LeTourneau

Originally published at: http://cabins.ronenbekerman.com/project/desert-bunker-by-andrew-letourneau/

For this cabin, I wanted to try something different. My first goal was to create something that was located in the desert rather than a forest. For the structure itself, I was heavily inspired by DUST Architect’s Casa Caldera project.

As soon as I saw the project I knew I wanted to create something similar, the brutalist and utilitarian nature of it was very appealing as well as its minimal impact on the surrounding environment.

For the landscape, I used a terrain map to create a small rolling hill with a river basin. I populated it with clusters of small grass as well as more massive Acacia trees. I scattered large boulders throughout the dried river bed. In the distance I used a photo scanned model of a canyon that I downloaded from Sketchfab, I wanted to give depth to the image as well as a bit more interest.

Overall I’m happy with how this project turned out, I learned a ton along the way and enjoyed the challenge!