Iconic Ecosystems by Denisa Badoi

Originally published at: https://www.ronenbekerman.com/?p=128162

When I first saw the site for the challenge it struck me how iconic each building was in itself, each one competing for the spotlight. And although this makes for an extraordinary architectural ensemble and a testimony to the progress achieved in construction and design, I knew I didn’t want to focus on the next great thing. I’m sure the future of Hudson Yards will see many more feats of architecture and engineering, but my belief is that the challenge of the next years lies in shifting the focus more and more to the natural environment and matters of sustainability, even amongst skyscrapers.

I think the green trend we see now will continue to develop in the next 20 years, hopefully to the point where natural ecosystems are brought back to the cities. There are already examples of this in New York, such as the re-naturalisation of the waterfront or the bee sanctuaries on roof-tops. These are projects that don’t immediately cater to people as final users, but to plants, birds or insects. My intention is to explore ways in which the smallest of these ‘users’ can take centre-stage in renders, having the Hudson Yards as a backdrop.