Hello! MMF House Meets Lumion

Originally published at: https://www.ronenbekerman.com/hello-mmf-house-meets-lumion/

MMF House Meets Lumion was among the most engaging articles this year and the starting point for my Lumion review “Visualize at the Speed of Mind” that was published yesterday. I decided to freshen things up a bit here and link it to a Talk thread so the discussion can keep on going. Reading this can help set the stage for the review I made.

I Lumion 8.0 (and in this case 8.3) for a good spin. First, using one of the example scenes it comes bundled with and then with the MMF House project we completed at The Craft the usual way with Corona Renderer.

This article is more of a log of what I did during a work week after hours. Overall time spent on this was probably two working days. I’ll just show the images, without diving into the actual Lumion UI. I’m getting in-depth about it in my “Visualize at the Speed of Mind” – Lumion Review.

Revisiting Farnsworth House

The Farnsworth House is the first image shown on the Lumion website and it also comes bundled with Lumion 8. My aim was to dive in straight away and see what I can get out of the box.

Say hello to the first frame…

This was done using the Realistic Style preset. Far better than the output in previous versions I tested, but not there yet. I took this image to Photoshop for some adjustments and got this one below.

With that in mind and sight, I went back to Lumion to adjust the preset so I get something similar.

Much better! While it is still hard to gauge the final look based on what you see in the viewport, the speed of render compensates for it, and I could get the settings I wanted and save it for reuse.

Here are a few more shots from this scene.

[av_masonry_gallery ids=’46665,46666,46664′ items=’-1′ columns=’3′ paginate=’pagination’ size=’fixed’ gap=’1px’ overlay_fx=” container_links=’active’ id=” caption_elements=’none’ caption_styling=” caption_display=’always’ color=” custom_bg=”]

For that one on the right, I was not happy about the background look & feel as well as how the trees looked. I focused on the tree line and played with the sky, clouds and fog settings to get this image below.

With that locked in, I went back to the house and saved this frame and then did some post-production on it too!

The Raw Output :

And after Post-Production :

And as usual… a black and white version!

And a crop I like…

MMF House Meets Lumion

The MMF House is a project we finished at The Craft – Architectural Visualization Studio using Corona Renderer and all the usual things. A one-story private house with a large garden and pool, ideal for a spin with Lumion. Below is one image from the original set.

First thing was to get the MMF House into an FBX file. Clean model. Just the architecture. The furniture was saved separately to be imported alongside the house. I skipped the vegetation completely as this was going to be done inside Lumion.

First, a quick check render!

And then with furniture added. NO MATERIALS! I did not address that issue yet.

Dropping some trees and fog and I got this…

Jumping a bit further (minutes further), and this is the result of gardening.

At this point, I started to explore the water material so I can get a bluish clear pool and also adjust the overall lighting and color.

From this point on I just kept exploring view and fine tune the settings of the rendering so things look better in my eyes. Most of you have seen the following images on the Blog’s Facebook Group.

RAW Lumion Renders

[av_masonry_gallery ids=’46681,46682,46683,46684,46685,46686,46687,46688,46689,46690,46691,46692′ items=’-1′ columns=’3′ paginate=’pagination’ size=’fixed’ gap=’1px’ overlay_fx=” container_links=’active’ id=” caption_elements=’none’ caption_styling=” caption_display=’always’ color=” custom_bg=”]

Very good results I think, straight out of Lumion.

Lumion Animation

And you can animate that too!

Here is a more complete animation I did a bit later, as I learn about how to set this up inside Lumion.

[av_video src=’https://vimeo.com/266137082′ format=’16-9′ width=’16’ height=’9′]

Doing Postwork on Lumion Output

And for the stills, I just had to do some post to get them up to par and style.

What do I think about Lumion?

One thing I’m 100% sure about – I had lots of FUN doing this test 😉

For all else, you should jump to my in-depth Lumion Review – Visualize at the Speed of Mind, in it, I took my initial conclusion from the MMF House exercise to much bigger scope.

What do you think?

Let me know in the comments section, ok?