Red Barn

Originally published at: https://www.ronenbekerman.com/?p=135857

Driving through rural New Zealand you are bound to see a dilapidated red barn sitting in the middle of a paddock somewhere. These often cheaply built structures served various functions but mostly were used for housing livestock, machinery, grain and/or hay bails. The red colour was also borne out of pure necessity where a cheap locally sourced mix of iron ore and whatever medium or oil was a available to make a weather and rust resistant paint that could withstand the hard summer droughts and extreme weather changes. Even before iron ore was used as a paint on cow sheds, Moari used kokowai, iron ore and other pigments made from the earth, pollen and rotted wood to make paint to decorate and protect wharenui, pou whenua and waka. I really like the utilitarian nature of these sheds and the history that come with that. They have an inherent beauty about them that makes we want to explore more in depth. What I will endeavor to do is covert the “red barn” into something that will connect people to nature in a locale native to its past.

2 Likes

Some Site reference

I have been playing around with Gaea to create the surrounding landscape. Gaea churns out some really good results using procedural nodes to create ridges, mountains, canyons and all sorts. It is very procedural. I haven’t quite figured how to create specific detail exactly where I want it but it may not be necessary for what I am trying to achieve. here are some screen shots for the various parts of the scene

1 Like

My idea for the Barn is that is that it will appear all closed up when not in use looking like a simple barn (although I will probably have to add some windows) and when it is occupied the roof will retract and a portion of the front and rear will open.

Great Idea, Coming along nicely. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

@Atom Thanks!!

A quick update regarding the surrounding vegetation. Because of the dry summers and cold winters and the inland nature of the area we end with a lot of tussocks and grasses that cope better in those conditions. I have used a bunch of models from Max tree and just tweaked the material to get the colour balance more like that of the local area.

1 Like

Here are some screenshots of the modelling progress straight out of 3dsmax. Some models are from megascans, some are assets I already had from 3dsky and some I modelled like the sofa

2 Likes

I really dig the atmosphere, I’m sure this is gonna be A+ quality

1 Like

Nice details, :ok_hand:

1 Like

интересно увидеть конечный результат!

1 Like